Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The I. Jenkins Mikell House


The Isaac Jenkins Mikell House is an iconic Charleston home located at the corner of Rutledge and Montagu in Harleston Village. It was built in 1853 by a wealthy planter and in 1935 became the Charleston Library. In 1960 it was returned to use as a private home. I love the over exposed quality of these 1940s HABS photographs. 
I was lucky enough to live next door to this incredible home for a year when I lived on Rutledge Avenue.  I watched the current owner alter some of the rooms with the help of designer Mario Buatta. I remember an incredible Moravian star light fixture in the entrance hall, a pair of incredible crystal candelabra on a pair of even more incredible gilded pedestals in the dining room, and an amazing animal head in the dining room of the kitchen house.

No comments:

Post a Comment