Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A day trip to Middle-of-Nowhere, SC

After hearing some good reviews of the antiques and junk stores in Walterboro, South Carolina (located an hour away from Charleston), we decided to embark on a day trip to visit this little town and pillage it, antiques wise. I was really surprised at the quantity of stores and the quality of the items. You had to dig, but I definitely made out with a couple of real finds such as a gilt faux bamboo Hollywood Regency coffee table, gilt tole electric sconce, and a fantastic portrait (amongst a few other purchases).
In addition to antiques, the town has some beautiful homes. Nothing particularly noteworthy or extraordinary, but I loved these two matching Greek Revival cottages with Greek Key friezes. If only they weren't in this particular town...



I searched the HABS website hoping there might be an archive of images of this small Southern town... unfortunately there were only three photographs, one of them being the first image. This is perhaps one of my favorite HABS photographs I've ever found. I love the sleeping dog in the foreground and that relatively simple cottage with its octagonal additions is so wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. Hello William:
    The cottages are, indeed, most attractive and the Greek detailing on both levels is rather fine.

    Are we to be permitted, at some future date, a glimpse of those items 'pillaged'? We do rather hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this house! You are my newly discovered favorite blog by far. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete