Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sir John Soane's Museum

A few months ago while I was in London I visited Sir John Soane's Museum and found a new belief in reincarnation. There is no way I was not Sir John Soane in a previous existence. 

The exterior of the home reads more Art Deco than Georgian and doesn't quite prepare the visitor for the fantasy world that exists inside.

A period cross section of the rear of the home.

The front parlor... I love the Pompeian red walls and black accents along with the multitude of small chandeliers.

One of my favorite features was this wall in the dining room that was mirrored around the portrait... it feels so contemporary. 

The breakfast room's ceiling is amazing... I love the inset convex mirrors. In addition to this skylight, there are probably ten others in the house. The greatest view is from the second floor that looks out over these rooms and the ten to fifteen different skylights

These back rooms are the most amazing. They are literally covered in architectural fragments ranging from Roman urns, to Grecian statuary, to Gothic finials, to an Egyptian sarcophagus, and a tomb for Soane's dog Fanny.

This is one of the most unbelievable places I have ever been... I couldn't get enough of it and went back again the next day. There are no tour guides forcing you from one room to the next and there are no ropes preventing you from walking completely around the rooms. This will definitely be a place I will visit each time I'm in London.

4 comments:

  1. What an incredible place. When I'm back in London I'll be sure to go. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome- and the best part is that it's free

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see the Antique cameo of Antinous in this collection?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure... the collection was so overwhelming. But I love images of Antinous so I really wish I could remember

    ReplyDelete