Monday, June 27, 2011

Tassels

They're some of my favorite decorative details, particularly when rendered in a material other than silk or thread. During my trip to D.C., amazing tassels of iron, brass, marble, and carved wood seemed to follow me everywhere.

From the carved marble tassels of Hiram Power's Greek Slave at the Corcoran...

 
... also seen in this 1848 daguerreotype from the collection of the Getty

To the carved wooden tassels on the frame of this mirror in the Renwick Gallery...

...to a solid brass mid-19th century curtain pull I found at an antiques shop in Old Town Alexandria and couldn't resist taking home with me...

... and finally a cast iron example from my collection similar to one on a piece of ironwork at Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown.

2 comments:

  1. I love Greek Keys, draped curtain folds, and tassel forms! Sister Parish had a huge giltwood tassel that she sometime turned upside down and used as a vase. It has been reproduced by John Roselli.
    __ The Devoted Classicist
    http://tdclassicist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just spent 20 minutes searching for an image of this giltwood tassel vase. You must tell me where I can see it... I'm completely obsessed with that idea. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete